Habitat for Humanity Hong Kong is currently seeking a talented individual for the part-time role of Officer, Governance. Reporting to the Director of Growth & Governance, you will be a key member of the Partnerships & Public Engagement team. You will support the relationship management and stewardship of Habitat Hong Kong’s Board of Directors and Standing Committees and play a key role in upholding our excellent standards of governance.
Key responsibilities include:
Board & Committee Coordination
- Provide excellent stewardship for Habitat’s Board Directors and Standing Committee members and support the CEO in actively ensuring regular, efficient, and effective communications and engagement with the members.
- Support the CEO with maintaining efficient board processes and liaise with the Company Secretary to ensure full legal compliance with the Companies Ordinance and that all governance-related deadlines are met.
- Lead the management of board governance activities, formulate an annual plan for board meetings, work with the CEO and Finance Manager to prepare agendas, resolutions, and meeting packets, draft board meeting minutes and assist with follow up.
- Prepare and file Directors’ onboarding and offboarding documentation and support the annual audit and AGM preparations, with guidance from the Director of Growth & Governance.
- Oversee committee governance and the Staff Liaison and Committee Coordinator schemes, with regular check-ins to ensure that all involved are upholding excellent standards, making the best use of the Committee members’ time, and helping them feel well supported by and integrated into the organisation.
- Create an annual engagement calendar including events of interest for the Board and Committee members, launch and regularly update the Board resources library and assist with the planning and implementation of any special events, trainings, workshops, and surveys.
- Support the Director of Growth & Governance with admin related to governance such as risk reports, compliance, data privacy
- Perform ad hoc duties as assigned.
- Coordinate closely with colleagues, recognising that no one team or person can function in isolation.
Note: The role, whilst clearly defined, is part of a fast-moving and evolving organisation and as such, the related responsibilities may need to adapt as the team grows. Any changes will be discussed with the individual but should be recognised as part of the exciting environment within which Habitat operates.
Qualifications, Skills & Experience:
Essential for the role
- Degree holder in business administration, corporate governance, company secretarial or relevant discipline preferred
- 2-3 years of relevant experience in stewardship & relationship management of senior executives such as Board of Directors & Standing Committees
- Experience in NGO is an advantage. Candidates who are passionate about moving into the non-profit organisation sector and come with relevant experience gained from other sectors are also welcome.
- Detail oriented, able to follow instructions effectively, take initiative and work with minimal supervision
- Able to multitask and exhibit consistent follow-through
- Comfortable working under time constraints, with conflicting priorities and with varying deadlines
- Strong organisational skills
- High integrity, confidentiality & discretion
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
- Proficiency in PC operations (Microsoft based applications); knowledge of digital board management systems such as Praxonomy preferred
Working Hours: Whilst this is a part-time role and the hours to be discussed and agreed with the candidate, you would be required to work at least on five Saturdays in the year to attend the quarterly board meetings and a team offsite.
Desirable for the role
- Excellent verbal communication skills in Cantonese
- Excellent written communication skills in Traditional Chinese
- Experience working with a Board of Directors or C-Suite
How to apply: If our values resonate with you, if the job description excites you and if you want to shape an inclusive and transparent culture in the pursuit of our vision of a world where everyone has a decent place to live, please send full CV with a cover e-mail, current & expected salary to email@example.com
Habitat thanks all applicants for taking the time to apply. However, only shortlisted applicants will be invited to interview. All personal data collected will be kept confidential and will be used for recruitment purposes only. Habitat is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best qualified personnel for all our positions in a manner that does not unlawfully discriminate against any person because of race, colour, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion or belief, physical or mental disability, marital or civil partnership status, medical condition, maternity, pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding status, gender reassignment, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.